Congressman Polis’ Youth Advisory Councils meet throughout the year to discuss issues, organize educational events, and generally share what’s on the minds of Colorado’s young people. There are two separate councils – one meets in Ft. Collins and the other in Boulder. Each council is comprised of high school students who represent the geographic, cultural, and ideological diversity of Colorado's Second Congressional District. The Council term is for one school year. Members who are appointed in their high school sophomore or junior year will have priority for membership in subsequent years if they wish to continue as a member.
Staff Facilitator: Jamie Grim
Council Member Responsibilities
The official responsibilities for the Youth Advisory Council members include but are not limited to the following:
- Attend meetings, held other month. If a member has to miss a meeting, the facilitator should be notified.
- Decide on meeting agendas, projects and events. Telephone conferencing will be available to those unable to travel to specific meetings.
- Read documents provided by the District Office on specific issue areas so that all are able to contribute to the discussion and help develop ideas for federal policy.
- Council members will be asked to dedicate time outside of regular meetings when organizing a project or event.
- Council members are bound to the same Congressional Rules of Ethics as the Congressional Office. Orientation will include additional information. Individual participants and/or the Advisory Council as a whole cannot represent themselves as members of Congressional staff or speak on behalf of the Congressman.
- The Advisory Council will operate in a manner that is inclusive and respectful of the diversity that each member brings to the group.
Youth Advisory Council Application 2016-2017
Students interested in participating in one of the Youth Advisory Councils, must submit an application and current resume by August 29, 2016. Please mail applications to Jamie Grim at 1220 S. College Ave, Fort Collins, CO 80524 or submit by e-mail to email@example.com