U.S. Representative Jared Polis

Help With Federal Agencies

An essential part of Jared's job is to help Coloradans get the services or information they need from federal agencies. Although a Member of Congress cannot override the decisions made by a federal agency, Jared can often intervene on a person's behalf to answer questions, find solutions, or cut through the red tape.

Below is information on the various federal agencies that Jared’s office can help you with, answers to frequently asked questions, and how to open a case on your behalf. 

Regardless of which agency you need help with; it’s a requirement to fill out a privacy authorization form to comply with the provisions of the Privacy Act. Please complete the form and then fax or mail it to the Boulder office.

What Can Congressman Polis's Office Do?

Constituents will sometimes ask for help expediting their applications for services or benefits. While our office is able to obtain information regarding the status of a constituent's application or claim, we cannot order an agency to move one person's application ahead of others who have been waiting. However, if an emergency develops, our staff will communicate the circumstances to the agency and request appropriate action.

Occasionally, constituents request that Members of Congress overturn decisions made by federal agencies. Jared is happy to assist constituents by forwarding information to the appropriate sources for consideration during the adjudication process. However, a Congressional office does not have the authority to instruct a federal agency to approve or deny an application. Claims and cases have to align with applicable law and stand on their own merits. 

Jared's staff needs a signed letter or privacy authorization form from you, giving permission to look into your case. The Privacy Act of 1974 does not allow inquiries without written consent. Under the law, an e-mail will not suffice as a release. You must provide a written signature.

Download and fill out the privacy authorization form and send it to the Boulder office or send a signed letter that includes the following information:

Full Name
Daytime Telephone
Evening Telephone Number
Date of Birth
Social Security Number
VA Claim Number or Alien Resident Number (if applicable)
Complete description of the problem or question
A sentence asking Congressman Polis to assist you with your concern.

In order for Jared to help, you must be a resident of Colorado's 2nd Congressional District. If you are not a resident of the 2nd District, please contact your representative in Congress, and he or she will be able to help you.

On what issue can we help?

Student Financial Aid

Housing Assistance

Internal Revenue Service

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Social Security Administration

Department of Veteran's Affairs

Workforce Issues



Passport and Visa Service

Postal Service

FCC - Federal Communications Commission

Latest News

Social Feeds


In The Press

Read More News

Office Locations

Contact one of my offices