U.S. Representative Jared Polis

Housing Assistance

Congressman Polis' office works with federal, state, and local governments and agencies to help constituents address a wide range of  housing issues.

Commonly Asked Housing Questions

What is the Department of Housing and Urban Development, and what does it do?

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is responsible for national policy and programs that address America's housing needs, improve our nation's communities, and enforce fair housing laws. HUD's major functions are grouped into six categories:
  • Insuring mortgages for single-family and multi-family dwellings, and extending loans for home improvement and purchasing mobile homes;
  • Channeling funds from investors into the mortgage industry through the Government National Mortgage Association;
  • Making direct loans for the construction or rehabilitation of housing projects for seniors and those with disabilities;
  • Providing federal housing subsidies for low and moderate-income families;
  • Providing grants to states and communities for community development activities;
  • and Promoting and enforcing fair housing and equal housing opportunities.

Is there a toll-free number I can call to find HUD-approved housing counseling agencies?

HUD has a toll-free housing counseling referral service that provides potential homebuyers, homeowners, and renters with the names and telephone numbers of their nearest HUD approved housing counseling agencies. These services include: first time homebuyer information; mortgage default and delinquency counseling; reverse mortgage (HECM) counseling; financial management; and property maintenance guidelines. You can reach the Toll-Free Housing Referral Service at: 1-800-569-4287 [1-800-358-6216 (TDD)].

I live in public housing and am losing my home. Can Congressman Polis help?

Yes. Danielle Henry in the Boulder office assists constituents with housing issues. She can coordinate with HUD and/or the local public housing agency on your behalf and get information about your case. In addition, if your case is time sensitive, it will sometimes be resolved with greater expediency once a Congressional inquiry has been made on your behalf.

I am a first time home buyer looking to purchase a home. Can Congressman Polis help me find information about federal grants and loans?

Yes. Our office maintains a working relationship with the Bureau of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and can assist constituents who wish to receive information about HUD’s home-buying programs. In addition, the office is in contact with local housing agencies and money-lending institutions that also provide useful services and education to first time home buyers.

Office Contact:
In order to open a case on your behalf, our office need a signed letter or privacy authorization form from you, giving permission to look into your case. Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, no inquiries can be made without such written consent. As such, an e-mail will not suffice as a release. A written signature must be given.

For all housing issues, please download and fill out the privacy authorization form and mail or fax it to Danielle Henry in the Boulder office.

Click here for valuable information about buying and selling homes along with federal housing initiatives from the Department of Housing

Latest News

Social Feeds


In The Press

Read More News

Office Locations

Contact one of my offices