U.S. Representative Jared Polis

Internal Revenue Service

My office assists many constituents who have questions about obtaining the proper tax forms and about tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service. If you've run into problems getting an answer from the IRS, we might be able to help.

Internal Revenue Service Links Online

Commonly Asked IRS Questions

Why do I have to pay taxes?

The 16th Amendment to the Constitution gave Congress the authority to collect taxes and Congress used the power to make laws requiring all individuals to pay taxes. Courts have historically held there are no constitutional or legal grounds for failure to file tax returns and pay taxes.

Can the Congressman assist me with my tax return?

No. With a signed Privacy Release form, the Congressman's staff can obtain information about the status of a return or a taxpayer's individual tax account. Although congressional staff is not trained to directly assist in the preparation of returns or claims, the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers provide direct help solving tax problems, filing claims, making installment agreements and preparing basic individual income tax returns if your income is $35,000 or less.

Who do I contact if I need tax forms and publications?

You can download forms online from the IRS website or or order forms by phone or fax. 

Download online: www.irs.gov/formspubs/index.html
Phone: 1-800-829-3676
Phone for the hearing impaired: 1-800-829-4059
Order by fax: (703) 368-9694

How do I obtain information regarding my tax account?

You may contact an IRS service representative at 1-800-829-1040 to request individual-specific account information or use the new online function to check your refund status.

If I am a private charitable organization or an organization similar to a volunteer fire department that has just been awarded a grant and I wish to pursue 501(c)(3) status (tax exempt status), who do I contact?

You may contact the IRS Tax Exempt and Government Entities division at 1-877-829-5500 for direction.

I have been trying to work out a problem with my tax account with the IRS, but it just seems to be getting me nowhere. Is there anyone I can call to help me?

The Taxpayers Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.  The can be reached at 303-603-4600 in the Denver area or 1-877-777-4778 nationwide. For more information about the Taxpayer Advocate Service click here.

Is there a local number I can call, if I don't want to go through the 800-number?

Yes. The Denver IRS office can be reached at (303) 446-1675. This line will be answered by a recorded message. You will receive a return call within two business days.

Office Contact

In order to open a case on your behalf , I need a signed letter or privacy authorization form from you, giving permission to look into your case. Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, no inquiries can be made without such written consent. As such, an e-mail will not suffice as a release. A written signature must be given.

For all IRS issues, please download and fill out the privacy authorization form and mail or fax it to Danielle Henry in my Boulder office.

Latest News

Social Feeds


In The Press

Read More News

Office Locations

Contact one of my offices