U.S. Representative Jared Polis


My office assists many constituents who have questions about Medicare. Most often, these questions involve benefits you are eligible for, how and where to file your Medicare claim forms and explanation of your benefit forms. We also receive many questions about nursing homes, prescriptions and Medicare supplement insurance. If you are unable to get your problem resolved through Medicare, my office may be able to help you.

Medicare Links Online

Medicare Beneficiary Information
Medicare Plan Choices
Prescription Drug Plan Finder
Medicare Physicians in Your Area

Commonly Asked Medicare Questions

How do I obtain a replacement Medicare card?

Please protect your Medicare card just as you would a credit card. Your Medicare card in the wrong hands can be used to submit fraudulent claims. 

If you lose your card, contact your local Social Security office at 1-800-Medicare or visit the Medicare website immediately to get a new one.  Click here for more information on replacing lost Medicare cards from the Social Security Administration.

I recently moved to another state? How do I update my address with Medicare?

To protect you and ensure your receipt of your benefits, please let your local Social Security office know that your address has changed.  The number for the Social Security Administration is 1-800-772-1213.

How do I appeal a claims decision that I am not satisfied with?

After a decision has been rendered, you will receive a Medicare Summary notice explaining whether your claim was approved or denied. If your claim has been denied, all appeal rights will be explained within the notice. Simply follow the directions contained within the notice.

How do I report an instance of fraud?

If you believe Medicare has been billed for services you did not receive or Medicare has been over billed always contact your provider first to make sure a mistake has not been made. After you contact your provider, if you still believe fraud exists, contact Medicare's fraud hotline at 1-800-447-8477 or contact my office.

How do I determine if a particular nursing home is appropriate for my loved one?

Medicare and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) provides a service called Nursing Home Compare. Nursing homes are rated by Medicare and CMS by the quality of care they provide. Medicare offers online information about nursing homes at its website, as well as numerous publications. If you do not have internet access, contact Medicare at 1-800-MEDICARE to obtain additional information.

Does Medicare pay for prescription drugs?

Medicare currently does not cover prescription drugs. However, Medicare does maintain information on drug manufacturers' discount programs on its website. These programs allow you to potentially obtain your prescriptions at a reduced rate or even free of charge. Click here to obtain additional Medicare information or contact my office to request information on these programs.

How do I know what Medigap plan is right for me?

Medicare maintains information on Medigap (Medicare supplement insurance plans) plans available in each state. Medicare's assessment compares each plan's coverage to its competition. Check online at Medicare to learn more about plans in Colorado or call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

Although I am able to walk, I have a difficult time walking long distances. Would Medicare allow payment for a wheelchair or Power Operated Vehicle (POV)?

Medicare wheelchair and POV coverage guidelines indicate that in order to allow payment for a wheelchair, a person with Medicare must be bed or chair-confined without the use of a wheelchair.

Furthermore in terms of POV all of the following criteria must be met:

You require a wheelchair to maneuver in your home;
You cannot operate a manual wheelchair;
You can safely operate the controls of a POV;
You can transfer safely to and from a POV and have adequate trunk stability to safely ride in a POV

You need a prescription from your physician prior to purchasing the POV, and the physician and supplier must complete a Certificate of Medical Necessity (CMN).

Office Contact

In order to open a case on your behalf , I need a signed letter or privacy authorization form from you, giving permission to look into your case. Due to the Privacy Act of 1974, no inquiries can be made without such written consent. As such, an e-mail will not suffice as a release. A written signature must be given.

For all Medicare issues, please download and fill out the privacy authorization form and mail or fax it to Stuart Feinhor in my Boulder office.

Latest News

Social Feeds


In The Press

Read More News

Office Locations

Contact one of my offices